Friday, December 23, 2011

"Isn't it splendid..."

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world” ~Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery


Wonderful little stories from December...


*I went to the cinema with my co-teacher and she insisted on us watching a film in English because it helps her to improve her English. I looked over at her twenty minutes in and there she was, snoring away beside me.


*Winter English camp have begun at my school and I'm teaching a great group of grade three and four students.  A poster was made by one of my co-teachers to advertise the camp to parents.  The poster is hung outside of our classroom which reads, “Tops in Enlish”. Sigh.


*I sent two parcels home filled with gifts for Christmas from Seoul, which only cost a total of $30.  When I was in Canada and I had to mail a piece of paper to Seoul , it cost over $60. Hmmm…


*Hyehwa. Bar. Vinyl. 7/11 deck of cards. Cass. Morrison Hotel. Dylan. Appetizer surprise. Jack Daniels. Bar top dancing. Oh! Darling. Cheese & Crackers. Korean paparazzi. Dillingers. Mingling. Darts. Misplaced purse. Found purse. Cab home. Changed mind. Train home. Sleep on train. Enough said.

*I missed the Monteith Christmas party....extreme bummer!  One of the not so splendid things about being far from home.
*I found another market near my place, which brings me so much joy.  I decided to walk another route home from school and just stumbled upon it.  It's AMAZING the things you just happen upon while wandering around.  Market specialties: Yubu chobab, Veggie Mandu, Jijimi, and the most beautiful selection on veggies I have ever seen: sweet potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, radish, chives, garlic stem...Heaven!


*Went on a Sunday stroll through Seoul forest, which wasn’t a forest at all (no surprise there).  While bored in the forest, I decided to learn how to use my friend’s iPhone. Big mistake! I was so enthralled that I tripped off a curb, and in an effort to save his phone, I nearly broke my hip, scrapping my knees and elbows.


*I volunteered once again at the orphanage and enjoyed an awesome Christmas party with the kiddies.  They are so cute and sweet.  Watching them open the gifts we brought was a perfect holiday moment. 


*Parking in Seoul can be a bit of a problem as there are just too many cars to accommodate. While out with my co-teachers, a car had blocked us in. I figured we were gonna have to wait around until someone came back in order to get Kate’s car out. Of course, this was not the case.  I watched stunned as my co-teachers began pushing the MERCEDES out of the way!!  I’ve been informed that it is common courtesy for Koreans to leave their cars out of gear once parked.  It makes it easy to push cars out of the way to avoid parking issues. LOL!


*I’m contemplating backpacking South Korea during my two weeks off in January.  Yeah its winter, but I think that’s what will make it such an exciting adventure.  Bring on the snow!!


*No snow in Seoul yet, which is a real bummer. I WANT SNOW!


*I experienced a few interesting dishes this month in the school caf, one of which was fish organs. Sorry, but I had to pass. I just couldn't do it ha.


*About two months after I came to Seoul, I wrote a list of random things I want to accomplish during my year here.  Some things are Korea related, but most are just random things I want to do.  There is this blog that I like reading every now and again, and I got the idea from it.  Sooo…..since I have no original ideas of my own I thought I’d copy it and post my list on my blog.  We’ll see how much I actually accomplish.

*Feeling bored of my current hair colour, I decided I would buy some dye and rock a new shade of red.  Instead of red, I ended up with bright PUMPKIN ORANGE hair and was mortified. I feared I'd never hear the end of this mistake the next day at school as my students never hold back.  As it turned out, my students think pumpkin orange hair is really cool and I am no longer "ugly teacher".


*Knitting parties!! I’ve started knitting again and my friends here have decided to join me.  Yarn and supplies are super cheap, so we’ve been knitting up a storm. I’ve completed a scarf and am currently making a hat.  Parties include dessert, fancy coffee, wine and lots of laughs.  Who knew knitting could be sooo much fun!


*Cat and dog cafés. I have yet to go to one, but it’s on my list of things to do.  What are they? Just as they sound…enjoy a latte while playing with cats and dogs. AWESOME!!  There are many of these all over Seoul and I plan on a trip soon.


*Christmas.  This will be my first Christmas away from home and I’m happy to say it won’t be a lonely one.  I have an exciting weekend ahead with great friends and I just can't wait!

Life is fabulous!


I want to wish family and friends back home a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.  I miss you all very much…especially this time of the year. 

Enjoy the holidays and know I am thinking of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment