Monday, March 5, 2012

"It is in vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquillity..."

"It is in vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquillity: they must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it." ~Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre.

 It’s the start of a new school year in Korea and with any new start, I always seem compelled to make extreme goals for myself or am motivated to learn some crazy new activity I have no business in learning.  For example, in January I decided I would learn how to play guitar.  Well, I more or less imagined I would be an adult prodigy strumming Clapton tunes immediately, but no dice. Turns out I have to practice playing and learning chords like most others.  The good news is that I love playing guitar and am hoping to play a Denver song soon enough.   



January also brought the sport of pole dancing into my life. Yeah, that’s right, I said sport. A friend of mine took up the challenge of teaching me how to pole at this studio here in Seoul.  And again, I was surprised I was not a prodigy when it came to this activity either.   Actually, it’s much harder than I ever imagined…but sooo much fun!  Thanks Aran for taking up the challenge.  You are a gem!

And lastly, my latest challenge.   I have 25 weeks left of my contract, so I’ve decided I’d take up running again and my goal is to complete 500km by August 24th.  My motivation: I hate saying to people “I used to be a runner”.  So lame.  Unfortunately, I do have some obstacles ahead such as yellow dust and monsoon season, but this just means I’ll have to take my running indoors.  Not that big of a deal I guess…but I hate running on a treadmill! Damn yellow dust from China.  

35 of 500km completed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment