Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hold the bulgogi, please!

Hold the bulgogi, please! The veg scene in Korea is alive and well...

Before coming here, I'd heard/read that it was pretty much impossible to maintain a vegetarian and/or vegan diet, but I've been living here for almost eight months now and I've discovered many resources and made a few VegHead friends that make this lifestyle possible.  We've shared blogs, documentaries, books, websites...and have even made the effort hosting veg potlucks, trekking dishes on the train from one end of Seoul to the other.  We've been veganizing jjigae, kimbab, bibimbap, and mandu either by inventing recipes or seeking out veg cafes, restaurants, and temples around Seoul and other parts of Korea.

As for myself, I've been cooking up a storm in my little kitchen.  I am constantly creating new dishes and inviting friends over to indulge.  Usually I try recreating Korean dishes, but tonight I did something a little different.  This time a reworked my favourite Indian dish, Palak Paneer.


First, I searched the web looking for non-veg recipes so I could familiarize myself with the basic ingredients.  Then, I 'Connified' the recipes into something unique and veggie appropriate.  There isn't one animal product used in this recipe and it turned out Ahhhhhh-Mazing!

Ingredients for Palak Tofu: spinach, firm tofu, soy milk, leeks, onion, fresh garlic and ginger, hot pepper, cherry tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and soybean oil.  Accompanied with German rye bread (vegan) and hummus from the Foreign Food Mart in SH-Itaewon.



I know what I'm bringin to the next potluck :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Can't wait to have you back in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete