Friday, August 19, 2011

Flight and Orientation

Hey All!!

Well the flight in wasn't too bad. Seventeen hours altogether with one layover in San Francisco. The exciting part...pretty sure I saw the San Fran bridge waaaaaaaay off in the distance when we were landing. Pretty cool seeing the 'Full House' bridge lol (yup...I'm a dork).
The downfall about long flights....pretty sure I have a mild case of "Cankles".  Mmmhmm, my feet are a little swelled and the heat here isn't helping the situation either. I've been told the temperature here is in the 80s...minus air for breathing, which makes it extra hot. Anyhow, seems hotter than at home for sure.

This week has been pretty tame. We've been staying at Kyung Hee University in Seoul completing orientation, but we haven't really ventured into the city yet.  We are here until the 25th and to be honest, I haven't felt culture shocked yet because we've been secluded to basically our English teacher colleagues and a few Korean coordinators. The big shock will come once out on our own...I can;t wait for this!

Tonight we had a Korean language class and WOW!!! This is going to be quite a challenge learning the language here.  I'll be lucky to master 'hello' before I leave...but I plan to continue taking language classes throughout my stay.  Every time I tried talking in Korean, my teacher laughed at me. Maybe I wasn't saying 'hello' after all...ha

And the food....YUMMY!!!! Seriously, I'm loving the Kimchi (hot pickled cabbage).  It's super spicy and eaten at EVERY meal.  Most of us are loving the food here. It's great and healthy too! Very little processed garbage. A nice change for sure. Oh, I almost forgot...the greatest cafe exists just downstairs. This dude who works there makes the greatest vanilla/caramel latte EVER...seriously in LOVE... ...with the latte of course!

And now I'm tired...not as jet lagged as yesterday, but seriously, I opted for going to bed rather than going out with people for drinks. Kinda regretting that decision...really, really thirsty!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your adjusting to your new adventure. Missing you, Connie. Mom

    ReplyDelete