Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Life at Kyung Hee University


So far so GOOD!!! The orientation that EPIK has put on for us here is awesome! It has been so informative and helpful...so far I recommend EPIK to those who are contemplating coming to Korea to teach. We have been taken care of here: our dorm rooms are small but quite comfortable, laundry is provided, 3 meals and snacks daily, instruction on lesson planning, Korean history, daily life, and culture, language lessons! And not to mention that our EPIK Coordinators have been so welcoming and really a pleasure to be around. We even get a 12 a.m. curfew after classes we can go it and experience a bit of Seoul's night life. LOVE IT!!!!!!

I am enjoying this orientation immensely...but we have been pretty sheltered here.  As I mentioned before, this part of the stay is easiest because we have been taken care of.  On Thursday we leave the university and all the friends we have met, and are dispersed throughout the different districts of Seoul to live on our own and start our teaching jobs.   SCARY!!!    Reality is really going to set in.  The main message our lecturers and coordinators have made to us at orientation has been "be patient, accommodating, flexible and accepting".  Koreans don't stick to schedules and things always change last minute.  I'm going in with no expectations and a "go with the flow" type of attitude.  Kinda excited for some craziness to be honest!

I've met some really great people here as well. Lots of Canadians and Americans of course, but also people from the UK, South Africa, Ireland, Australia...everywhere! I could listen to my friends Charlotte and Lloyd from the UK talk all day long...I'm even thinking of dropping the word 'pants' from my vocab and using the word 'trousers' more often lol, sounds waaaaaay cooler for sure.

Sunday we went to this Korean Folk Village to catch a glimpse of the old rural life and it was pretty cool!!  I have attached a mini video of the traditional drumming show we watched. The elder in the middle (drum leader) is 70 years old and is drumming with his son and grandson...he was so proud when telling us about it.

Hope you enjoy this...AWESOME!
 ............

haha I can't download the video for some reason...not surprising lol. I will figure this out and post it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment